Monday 20 - Sunday 26 May 2013
- Monday 20th - Friday 24th May
- Aly Monroe will be one of the course leaders at Literature on the Loch, the first of a series of writing breaks to be held at Ardoch House on the banks of Loch Lomond. The proceeds of Literature on the Loch go towards financing the centre's other use as a resource for, mostly child-focused, charities.
- Monday 20th May, 7.00 pm
- Peter Guttridge in conversation at Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG about spying in fact and fiction.
Tickets £9.50, bookable online.
- Wednesday 22nd May, 7.30 pm
- Linda Stratmann takes a new look at the Marquess of Queensberry at the Bishopsgate Institute
Tickets £8 /concessions £8; more information and online booking.
- Friday 24th May, 10.30 am
- Stephen Booth talk at Evington Library, 200 Evington Lane, Leicester LE5 6DH
Free event. To book a place, phone 0116 221 1286 or email:
Monday 27 May - Sunday 2 June 2013
- Tuesday 28th May - Saturday 1st June, 4.00 pm and 7.00 pm
- Killers, a play adapted from thel prison correspondence of Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe and Dennis Nilsen by Glenn Chandler, presented on the Brighton Fringe at the Old Police Cells Museum, Brighton Town Hall, Bartholomew Square, Brighton BN1 1JA
Tickets £10: Box Office 01273 91 72 72
- Wednesday May 29th, 2.00 - 3.00 pm
- Ann Cleeves at Pheasey Library, Collingwood Centre, Collingwood Drive, Great Barr, Pheasey, Birmingham, B43 7NE
For more information, contact
- Friday 31st May, 11.00 am
- Leigh Russell book signing at W H Smith, Bristol
For details, telephone: 0117 925 2152
- Saturday 1st June
- Frances Brody signing at Bargain Books, Hull cancelled
- 11.00 am: Leigh Russell book signing at Waterstones Cribbs Causeway, Bristol
For details, telephone: 0843 290 8183
Where the pen is bloodier than the sword
30 May - 2 June, 2013, Bristol UK
CWA members attending includeMary Andrea Clarke, Ragnar Jonasson, Ruth Dudley-Edwards, Michael Ridpath, Pauline Rowson, Ann Cleeves, Kate Ellis, J. C. Martin, Kerry Wilkinson and Martin Edwards but for a full list please visit the Crimefest website.
We are pleased that the team at CRIMEFEST have agreed to host the CWA Daggers shortlist announcement reception. This is for ticket holders only, but you do not need to book for the reception in advance. Refreshments will be provided. The reception also marks the launch of National Crime Writing Month 2013.
NATIONAL CRIME WRITING MONTH: WEEK 1
Friday 31 May - Sunday 9 June 2013
- Monday 3rd June
- 7.30 pm: Ann Cleeves at Yate Library 44 West Walk, Yate, South Gloucestershire BS37 4AX
- 7.30 pm: Martin Edwards talks about My Life of Crime at Denton Library, Peel Street, Denton, Greater Manchester, M34 3JY
- Tuesday 4th June
- 2.30 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Mexborough Library, John Street, Mexborough, South Yorkshire, S64 9HS
For more information phone: 01302 582037 or e-mail:
- 5.30 pm: Inside the Criminal Mind at Cheltenham Science Festival, with Ann Cleeves.
- 6.30 pm: Rebecca Muddiman launch of Stolen at The Guisborough Bookshop, 4 Chaloner St, Guisborough, Yorkshire TS14 6QD
- 7.00 pm: An evening with Valerie Lawsat Hartlepool Central Library, York Road , Hartlepool, TS26 9DE; Valerie will be reading from her novel, The Rotting Spot, and sharing her experiences as a crime author and pathology poet. Valerie's work is inspired by an interest in science, pathology, forensics and bones!
For more information, telephone: 01429 272905
Tickets £3 from any Hartlepool Library
- 7.30 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Handforth Library, The Green, Wilmslow Road, Handforth, Cheshire, SK9 3ES
Tickets £3: telephone: 01625 374060 or e-mail:
- Wednesday 5th June, 7.00 pm
- RC Bridgestock - Crime Fact to Crime Fiction at Ventnor Library, Isle of Wight
- Thursday 6th June
- 10.30 am: Stephen Booth talk at Goole Library, Carlisle Street, Goole, East Yorkshire, DN14 5DS
Free admission, but booking advised: telephone: 01405 762187 or e-mail:
- 2.30 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Snaith Library, 27-29 Market Place, Snaith, East Yorkshire, DN14 9HE
Free admission, but booking advised: telephone: 01405 860096 or e-mail:
- Friday 7th June, 2.00 pm
- Peter Guttridge talking about Crimewriters & Other Liars at Nottingham Central Library, Angel Row, Nottingham, NG1 6HP
For more information e-mail:
- Saturday 8th June, 11.00 am
- Leigh Russell book signing at Waterstones, Bedford
- Sunday 9th June, 3.00 pm
- Frances Brody talks about TURNING TO CRIME: Settings, Sleuths, Suspects and Stories - An investigation of detective fiction in the Portal Room, Leeds Central Library
Part of the BIG BOOKEND, Leeds Festival of Words
Tickets £3 (programme and online booking)
NATIONAL CRIME WRITING MONTH: WEEK 2
Monday 10 - Sunday 16 June 2013
- Monday 10th June, 7.30pm
- An evening of crime with Cath Staincliffe at Prestwich Book festival, Irish World Heritage Centre, Manchester.
Tickets £6 in advance, available to book online
- Tuesday 11th June
- 7.00 pm: RC Bridgestock - 'Retired Detective Superintendent Bob Bridgestock Walking through the real life murder enquiry of 'Have a go Hero Kevin Jackson!' at Sandown Library, Isle of Wight
- 6.00pm: Making 'Eye Contact' with Fergus McNeill - a discussion of the
contemporary crime novel and the process of writing on location, at Flitwick Library, Coniston Road, Flitwick,
For details telephone: 0300 300 8057
- Wednesday, 12th June
- 2.00 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Sutton-in-Ashfield Library, Idlewells Centre, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17 1BP.
For more information phone: 01623 556296 or e-mail:
- 7.30 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Oakham Castle, Market Square, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6DT (for Rutland
Tickets £3 (£2 concessions). Booking recommended.
For more information phone: 01572 722918 or e-mail: .
- Thursday 13th June, 5.00 pm
- Diane Janes Musing on Murder at Crediton Library, as part of the Crediton Festival.
Tickets: £2, can be booked online.
- Friday 14th June, 6.30 pm
- Stephen Booth talk at Wakefield One Library and Museum, Burton Street, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF1 2DD, with Q&A and
Free admission, but please book a ticket by phone: 01924 305376 or e-mail:
- Saturday 15th - Sunday 16th June
- Karen Maitland at Le Havre's 11th Ancres Noires Festival
- Sunday, 16th June, 2.00 - 3.00 pm
- Deadlier Than The Male: Sophie Hannah, Ruth Dugdall and Michelle Spring at the Orwell Hotel, Felixstowe, Suffolk
As part of the first Felixstowe Book Festival Sophie, Ruth and Michelle will be discussing their crime writing and why, for female writers, murder can be so satisfying.
NATIONAL CRIME WRITING MONTH: WEEK 3
Monday 17 - Sunday 23 June 2013
- Monday 17th June
- 6.00 - 7.30pm: Peter James reading from his new novel, Dead Man's Time at Jubilee Library, Jubilee Street, Brighton, BN1 1GE. With Q & A session.
Tickets cost £5 and are available to buy from any Brighton and Hove Library.
For more information, telephone: 01273290800 or e-mail:
- 6.30 pm: Barbara Nadel at Hyde Library, Union Street, Hyde, SK14 1NF, talking about her Turkish (Ikmen) series and her London based Hakim and Arnold series.
FREE event, no need to book.
- 7.00 pm: Phantoms at the Phil: Ann Cleeves and friends tell ghost stories at Newcastle's Lit & Phil library.
Tickets are £5 (members £3) from the Lit & Phil); booking essential.
- Wednesday 19th June
- 2.00 pm: Barbara Nadel at Blackburn Library, Town Hall Street, Blackburn, BB2 1AG, talking about her Turkish (Ikmen) series and her London based Hakim and Arnold series.
FREE event, no need to book.
- 7.00 - 8.30 pm: An evening of crime at Hartlepool Central Library, York Road, Hartlepool, TS26 9DE with Mari Hannah and Rebecca Muddiman.
For more details contact Denise on 01429 272905
- 7.30 pm: Peter Tickler at Hungerford Library, Church Street, Hungerford, RG17 0JG
The event is free, but you must have a ticket; please reserve over phone (01488 682660) or collect from library.
- Thursday 20th June
- 6.30 pm: Joe Geraghty and Hull at Wakefield One Library, Burton Street, Wakefield WF1 2DD
Drawing on his trilogy of Joe Geraghty novels and short film, Hull crime author Nick Quantrill explores a forgotten and neglected city on the cusp of change and considers how it might reinvent itself in the future.
Free event: for more information telephone: 01924 305376 or e-mail:
- 7.30 pm: Stephen Booth launches the new Cooper & Fry novel Already Dead at Chesterfield Library, New Beetwell Street, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40 1QN, with Waterstones Chesterfield.
Tickets £3 (£2 concessions), available from the library.
For more information, phone: 01629 533400 or e-mail:
- Friday 21st June, 7.30 pm
- Chilled to the Bone with Sally Spedding: this intensive crime/thrller writing workshop explores the depths to which individuals,groups and organisations will go to keep their
terrible secrets buried.
Part of the Winchester Writers' Conference, at the University of Winchester. Cost for the whole of Friday is £175; For the whole weekend, and additional details, please see website above,
or telephone: O1962 827238 or email:
- Saturday 22nd June
- 10.00 am - 12 noon: Stephen Booth signing the new Cooper & Fry novel Already Dead at Bookworm, 1 Spa Lane, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 6EA.
For more information, phone: 01777 869224 or e-mail:
- 2.00 pm: Cath Staincliffe at Keighley Library, North Street, Keighley, BD21 3SX
For more information, telephone: 01535 618211 oe e-mail:
- 2.30 - 4.30 pm: Stephen Booth signing the new Cooper & Fry novel Already Dead at Scarthin Books, The Promenade, Cromford, Derbyshire, DE4 3QF.
For more information, phone: 01629 823272 or e-mail:
TRAVEL TO THE DARK SIDE
Sunday 23rd June, 6.30pm
David Hewson, Barbara Nadel and Michael Ridpath, chaired by Barry Forshaw ask:
Why are we so attracted by foreign crime, whether under the blazing Mediterranean sun or in frosty Nordic countries?
What do we discover about those places when we see them through the eyes of a local detective?
Hall One, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG
Tickets: £9.50; more information and online booking.
In association with the Crime Writers Association
NATIONAL CRIME WRITING MONTH: WEEK 4
Monday 24 - Sunday 30 June 2013
- Tuesday 25th June
- 6.30pm: Valerie Laws gives a sneak peek into her forthcoming novel The Operator, the surgical-themed sequel to the award-winning skull-hunting thriller The
Rotting Spot, at Newcastle Central Library, 33 New Bridge Street West, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 8AX
For more information telephone: 0191 2774100 or e-mail:
Tickets £2 payable on the door.
- 7.00pm: Stephen Booth talk at Biddulph Library, Tunstall Road, Biddulph, Staffordshire, ST8 6HH.
For more information, phone: 01782 512103 or e-mail:
- 7.30 pm: Judith Cutler at Emersons Green Library, Emerson Way, Emersons Green, South Gloucestershire, BS16 7AP
Tickets, £2.60 for library members and £5.25 for non-members, are bookable in advance by phone: 01454 868006 or e-mail:
- Wednesday 26th June
- 7.30pm: Barbara Nadel at Barking Library, Barking Learning Centre, 2 Town Square, Barking, IG11 7NB, talking about her Turkish (Ikmen) series and her London based Hakim and Arnold series.
FREE event, no need to book.
- 7.30pm: Stephen Booth talk at Macclesfield Library, Jordangate, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 1EE
Tickets £3 including refreshments; for information or to book, telephone 01625 374000 or e-mail:
- Thursday 27th June
- 6.30 pm: Pauline Rowson talking about how she researches, plots and writes her popular crime novels and the inspiration for her DI Andy Horton series of marine mysteries set on the South Coast of England, at Wokingham Library, Denmark Street, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 2BB
For tickets call 0118 978 1368 or e-mail .
- 7.00 pm: RC Bridgestock talk: With Fiction We Can Ensure That Good Overcomes Evil at Lord Louis Library, Orchard Street, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1LL
- 7.00 pm: Kate Ellis speaking at Wilmslow Library, South Drive West, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1NW
For more information, telephone: 01625 374060
- 7.00 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Burton-on-Trent Library, Riverside, off High Street, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 1AH
Tickets £2 for library members, £3 for non-members.
For more information, phone: 01283 239564 or e-mail:
- Friday 28th June, 7.00pm
- Stephen Booth talk at Rugby Library, Little Elborow Street, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ
For more information, phone: 0300 555 8171 or e-mail:
- Saturday 29th June
- 11.00 am: Leigh Russell book signing at Waterstones, Walthamstow
For details, telephone: 0843 290 8669
- 12.00 noon: Kate Charles talks about A Year in the Life of a Crime Writer, part of the Big Lit Weekend at the Ludlow Fringe Festival, at the Ludlow Mascall Centre, SY8 1RZ
Tickets £3 (on the door)
- 12.00 noon - 2.00 pm: Stephen Booth signing the new Cooper & Fry novel Already Dead at Waterstones, 70-80 St Peter's Street, Derby DE1 1SR.
For more information, phone: 01332 296997 or e-mail:
NATIONAL CRIME WRITING MONTH: WEEK 5
Monday 1 - Sunday 7 July 2013
- Monday 1st July, 7.00pm
- Ann Cleeves and Margaret Murphy at Newcastle City Library
- Tuesday 2nd July
- 5.30 pm: Stephen Booth talk at Coventry Central Library, Smithford Way, Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 1FY
For more information phone: 02476 832314 or e-mail:
- 6.30 pm: S J Bolton talks about writing contemporary Gothic crime and her love of folklore and forensic science, at Bolton Library, BL1 1SE
Tickets are free but must be booked in advance, by telephone: 01204 332209 or e-mail:
- 7.00 pm: Ann Cleeves and Margaret Murphy at Gateshead Central Library
- Wednesday 3rd July
- 2.00pm: Ann Cleeves and Margaret Murphy atStockton Library
- 7.00pm: Ann Cleeves and Margaret Murphy at Hartlepool Library
- 7.00pm: Stephen Booth talk and book signing at Tadcaster Library, 10 Station Road, Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, LS24 9JG
Tickets £2; for more information or to book, telephone: 0845 034 9542 or e-mail:
CRIME IN THE COURT
Thursday 4th July 2013, 6.30 - 9.30pm
Goldsboro Books host the third Crime in the Court evening, to coincide with Independent Booksellers Week. This annual event celebrating crime fiction will be an informal gathering for crime fans to meet the best crime writers published today.
- Thursday 4th July
- 2.30pm: Ann Cleeves and Margaret Murphy at South Shields Library
- 7.00pm: Stephen Booth talk at Congleton Library, Market Square, Congleton, Cheshire, CW12 1ET
Tickets £3.50 - telephone: 01260 375550 or e-mail:
- 7.00pm: Ann Cleeves and Margaret Murphy at North Shields Library
- Saturday 6th July
- 10.00 am - 12.00 noon: CSI Basingstoke: Pauline Rowson and Peter Lovesey at Basingstoke Discovery Centre. Find out about crime research and evidence and how it feeds fiction. CSI Basingstoke is part of Basingstoke Festival
Advance booking essential Tickets cost: £5. Book in person at the Discovery Centre or by phone on 01256 478670
- 11.30 am - 1.30 pm: Stephen Booth signing the new Cooper & Fry novel Already Dead at Waterstones, 27 Frenchgate Centre, Doncaster, South Yorkshire, DN1 1LJ.
For more information, phone: 01302 329142 or e-mail:
- Sunday 7th July at 12.00 noon
- Ruth Dugdall at Newmarket Library, CB8 8EQ
For more information, please phone: 01638 661216 or e-mail:
NATIONAL CRIME WRITING MONTH: WEEK 6
Monday 8 - Monday 15 July 2013
- Monday 8th July
- 6.30 pm: Stephen Booth Q&A and book signing at Leeds Central Library, Calverley Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 3AB
Free event, but please book a place by phoning 0113 247 6016.
- 7.30 pm: Pauline Rowson, Peter Lovesey and Simon Brett Under Interrogation at Chichester Library, Tower Street, Chichester PO19 1QJ:
Your chance to grill them on the subject of their writing, their characters, their research, their experiences and more. An event not to be missed by crime fiction fans - part of the Festival of Chichester
For further information and tickets contact: - telephone: 01243 777351
- Tuesday 9th July, 2.00 pm
- Stephen Booth Q&A and book signing at Mansfield Library, Four Seasons Centre, Westgate, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18 1NH
Free event: for more information telephone: 01623 651337 or e-mail:
- Wednesday 10th July
- 10.00 am - 11.30 am: Pauline Rowson running a crime writing workshop at the Frome Festival
- 7.45 pm for 8.00 pm: J. G. Goodhind launches Something in the Blood, her new 'Honey Driver' murder mystery at Toppings Bookshop in Bath, where the books are set.
Tickets £5 advance /£6 on the day, redeemable against purchase of Something in the Blood
More information and online booking.
- Thursday 11th July, 2.00 pm
- Stephen Booth talk at Tickhill Library, Castlegate, Tickhill, South Yorkshire, DN11 9QU
Free event; to book a place, please phone 01302 742871 or e-mail:
- Friday 12th July, 3.00 - 4.00 pm
- Karen Maitland at Gedling Book Festival Arnot Hill Park, Arnold - followed by a History Panel Discussion.
- Sunday 14th - Saturday 20th July
- Diane Janes leads a novel writing course at Marlborough College Summer School.
- Sunday 14th July, 2.30 pm
- Stephen Booth talk and signing at Gedling Book Festival's CRIME DAY, Arnot Hill Park, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 6LU
Free admission and free parking. Festival includes book stalls, refreshments, children's activities and live music.
- Monday 15th July, 6.40 am
- Pauline Rowson on the BBC Radio Solent Breakfast Show
Monday 15 - Sunday 21 July 2013
- Thursday 18th July, 7.00 pm
- Crime Talk by Peter Tickler at Mortimer Library, 27 Victoria Road, Mortimer, RG7 3SH.
Tickets free, but please book in advance on 0118 933 2882
OLD PECULIER CRIME WRITING FESTIVAL
18 - 21 July, 2013
Members attending include Ann Cleeves.
Monday 22 - Sunday 28 July 2013
- Sunday 28th July, 7.30pm
- Kate Ellis speaking at the Elizabethan, Heaton Moor Road, Stockport, Cheshire, as part of the Heaton Arts Trail (Facebook page)
Monday 29 July - Sunday 4 August 2013
- Monday 29 - Wednesday 31st July
- Peter Guttridge runs a three-day residential writing workshop at Missenden Abbey, Great Missenden, Bucks
- Tuesday 6th August, 2.00 pm
- Peter Guttridge on The Truth About The Great Train Robbery at National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU.
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8876 3444
- Thursday 8th Augustt, 2.00 pm
- Peter Guttridge on The Truth About The Great Train Robbery on Platform 2, Pickering Railway Station, North Yorks
- Friday 9th August, 2.00 pm
- Peter Guttridge on Myth & Reality in the story of The Great Train Robbery at Norton Library, Malton, North Yorkshire
- Friday 16th - Sunday 18th August
- Martin Edwards speaking on the present and future of crime fiction at St Hilda's Crime and Mystery Conference, Oxford. Other members attending include Kate Ellis.
- Wednesday 21st August
- Karen Maitland talking to the flourishing SYNTAX Literary Society in Allingham, Lincolnshire and taking part in a question and answer session about novels, writing and all things literary.
- Friday 30th August, 7.30pm
- Kate Ellis speaking at Yate Library, 44 West Walk, Yate, Gloucestershire, BS37 4AX
Telephone: 01454 868006 for more information
- Friday 6th - Sunday 8th September
- Gladfest at Gladstone's Library, North Wales, includes a Victorian mystery evening presented by Martin Edwards.
Friday 13th - Sunday 15th September
Members attending include Ann Cleeves.
- Thursday 19th September
- Ann Cleeves at Whitley Bay Library.
A New York State of Crime
19 - 22 September, 2013, Albany, NY
- Wednesday 2nd October
- 2.00 pm: Pauline Rowson at Abertridwr Library, Aberfawr Road, Abertridwr, CF83 4EJ
For tickets and further information telephone 01495 233000 or e-mail
- 7.00 pm: Pauline Rowson at Pontarddulais Library, St Michael's Avenue, Pontarddulais, Swansea, SA4 8TE
For tickets and further information telephone 01792 882822 or e mail
- Thursday 3rd October
- 2.00 pm: Pauline Rowson at Bridgend Library Wyndham Street, Bridgend, CF31 1EF
Tickets available from Bridgend Library 01656) 754800 or e-mail:
- 6.30 pm: Pauline Rowson at Neath Library, Victoria Gardens, Neath, SA11 3BA
For tickets and more information telephone (01639) 644604/635017 or email
- 7.30 pm: Martin Edwards talks about Ellis Peters at Wellington Literary Festival, Shropshire
- Saturday 5 - Saturday 12 October 2013
- Creative writing course with Meg Gardiner at the famous Watermill at Posara in northern Tuscany.
Special Early Bird discount for those who book before the end of 2012.
More information at www.watermill.net/writing-holidays or email or you can call the owners of the mill, Bill and Lois Breckon, at (UK number): +44 20 7193 6246.
- Saturday 26th - Sunday 27th October
- Ann Cleeves at The Body in the Garden Festival, Adelaide
CSI PORTSMOUTH 2013
Saturday 2nd November
Crime authors appearing to be announced; moderator Pauline Rowson.
- Monday 25th November
- Ann Cleeves at a charity Breakfast with the Lexicon Bookshop, 63 Strand Street, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM1 2RL