Vaseem Khan is the author of the Baby Ganesh Detective Agency series, a ‘gritty cosy crime’ series based in Mumbai, India and featuring a baby elephant. The first book in the series THE UNEXPECTED INHERITANCE OF INSPECTOR CHOPRA was a Times bestseller, a Waterstones’ paperback of the year, and and an Amazon Best Debut. The second in the series THE PERPLEXING THEFT OF THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN won the 2017 Shamus Award for Best Original Private Investigator Paperback. The third was released in May 2017 – THE STRANGE DISAPPEARANCE OF A BOLLYWOOD STAR. His aim with the series is to take readers on a journey to the heart of modern India.
Vaseem first saw an elephant lumbering down the middle of the road in 1997 when he arrived in Mumbai to work as a management consultant. It was the most unusual sight he had ever encountered and served as the inspiration behind his series. Vaseem was born in London in 1973, studied finance at the London School of Economics, before spending a decade on the subcontinent. He returned to the UK in 2006 and has since worked at University College London for the Department of Security and Crime Science. Elephants are third on his list of passions, first and second being great literature and cricket, not always in that order. He also runs THE READING ELEPHANT BOOKCLUB.
- The Perplexing Theft of the Jewel in the Crown won the 2017 Shamus Award for Best Original Private Investigator Paperback.
- The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra was selected as a Waterstones paperback of the year
- The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra was named as a Bookmuse recommended read (Top 1% reviewer on Goodreads)
- The audiobook of The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra narrated by Sartaj Garewal, was declared an Earphones Award Winner in the US.
- The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra selected as a Grasnet Best Christmas Read